Training on Technical & Vocational Education & Training Management (TVET)
In Africa, few national technical and vocational education and training leaders and managers receive formal training in specific areas of the sector. In the face of rapidly changing labour markets and new employer needs on the continent, TVET stakeholders and systems need to become more professional-based.
- A training programme to strengthen the strategic and operational capacities of TVET managers in Africa.
- A seven-month course in French, offered both face-to-face and through distance learning, depending on the global health situation.
TVET experts at IIEP-UNESCO Dakar office developed the Technical and Vocational Education and Training Management (PGEFTP) course. The training starts at the end of September each year. Each class has about 40 participants from a variety of French-speaking African countries.
Description of the course
The IIEP-UNESCO Dakar PGEFTP training enables participants to deepen their knowledge and understanding of TVET issues and challenges. It also aims to develop their technical and operational skills for strategic policy planning and better management of TVET. This comprehensive programme equips participants with the tools and methods needed to analyse labour markets, estimate and simulate sector costs and financing, and effectively implement TVET reforms.
- Four distance learning modules, accessible on the IIEP-UNESCO virtual campus learning platform
- Two face-to-face meetings in Senegal at the beginning and end of the course, subject to the global health situation
- Exchange forums and collaborative activities with professionals from all over Africa
- A final professional practice project (optional)
Why choose PGEFTP training?
Our course in Technical and Vocational Education and Training Management will enable participants to:
- Benefit from high level, professional and multidisciplinary training
- Develop specialised skills to analyse, plan, manage and implement TVET policies at central and decentralised levels
- To quickly apply the knowledge acquired during the training in a professional context, thanks to modular and flexible teaching, combining theoretical approach and practical work
- Lead and drive reforms through a collective and collaborative process aimed at transforming TVET practices and systems
Download the brochure (in French)
TVET: an area of expertise for IIEP-UNESCO Dakar
Within the framework of its Platform of Expertise in Vocational Training (PEFOP) programme, IIEP-UNESCO Dakar has developed an innovative approach to help African countries and stakeholders strengthen and transform their TVET systems. It aims to foster economic growth and the lifelong employability of trainees, through public-private partnerships or the certification of skills. IIEP also encourages the development of regional strategies for consultation, planning and sharing of TVET resources.
Designed by the institute's TVET experts, PGEFTP training draws on the knowledge and resources produced and shared by PEFOP.
Profile of the participants
The course is aimed at public or private officials involved in the management of national TVET systems, primarily in Africa. The programme aims to strengthen their individual capabilities and the institutional capabilities of the organisations to which they are attached. Among them:
- Ministries in charge of TVET, partner ministries (Finance, Economy, Employment/Labour, Agriculture, Health, etc.) and TVET inspection agencies
- Course design institutions, teacher training centres and TVET centres
- Private sector companies, groups and institutions; professional federations and employee organisations
- Non-governmental organisations (NGOs) and technical and financial partners
“PGEFTP training enabled me to enrich my knowledge, in particular on how to implement a national strategy for technical and vocational education and training and for financing the sector (...) Thanks to the PGEFTP, we are developing new reflexes and behaviours. With the other participants of the Benin team, this experience regularly leads us to share our reflections and to reinforce each other.”
Terms and conditions of admission
The PGEFTP course is available on application. The recruitment process is selective and competitive. There are two methods to submit an application for the PGEFTP programme:
- Country application, compiled by the applicant’s Ministry of TVET
It is ideally composed of a team of managers with complementary profiles, from the private and public sectors, at central and decentralised levels
- Individual application
The PGEFTP programme is reserved for professionals working in the TVET sector. Fluency in French and working knowledge of computer skills (Word, Excel) is required.
Fees and financing
The registration fee for the TVET Management training programme is 2,000,000 FCFA per participant. This fee includes the pedagogical supervision, operating costs and access to the e-learning platform. Candidate countries and individual applicants must also ensure that they have the necessary funds to cover the costs of the face-to-face meetings organised in Dakar (air travel, accommodation and meals). These trips may be cancelled or postponed depending on the global health situation.
A budget estimate can be provided on request by email. Applications for funding may be made to relevant national or international bodies and donors. IIEP-UNESCO Dakar cannot provide financial assistance to participants.
Call for applications
Applications for the 2nd PGEFTP class are now closed. The course takes place from September 2021 to April 2022.
Consult the PGEFTP 2021-2022 calendar (in French)
The call for applications for the PGEFTP 2022-2023 course will be launched in the first quarter of 2022.
Therrezinha Fernandes Kinkin
Head of program, Training Manager for IIEP-UNESCO Dakar
Expert in charge of training of TVET at IIEP-UNESCO Dakar