Achieving the objectives set out in a sector plan is a major concern for education and training administrators in Africa. IIEP-UNESCO Dakar supports the member countries of the continent in this operational phase.
- Technical support to facilitate the deployment and management of educational policies.
- The mobilization of technical and human resources to guide policy decisions and promote their implementation.
- Three thematic support programmes: vocational training, gender equality and quality education management.
Support for policy implementation
In conjunction with education sector analysis and strategic planning, IIEP experts assist ministries in the crucial phase of implementing education policies. Depending on the needs and requests of the countries, this implementation support can take different forms:
- Consulting missions for the management of educational reforms:
Management of teaching staff: allocation, deployment, etc.…
- Assistance in the development of education and training management tools:
School mapping and micro-planning tools; integrated human resources management system
- Assistance in the monitoring and evaluation of expenditures and results of the education sector plan:
Organization of joint sectoral reviews; impact assessment, etc.
- Support for the implementation of new methods of governance and organization of education and TVET systems:
Public-private partnerships; regional consultation frameworks; national certification frameworks, etc.
Our areas of intervention
IIEP-UNESCO Dakar supports the implementation of all types of educational reforms according to the countries' needs. Given the challenges of the African continent to ensure quality education based on equality and to develop lifelong learning opportunities, our regional office has specific resources and expertise around three priority issues: technical and vocational education and training (TVET), managing the quality of education and gender equality.
The IIEP is helping to build the capacity of several African countries to manage the quality of basic education. Our support consists of working with all stakeholders in the education systems - schools, decentralised structures, central administration - on daily practices that can influence the quality of learning in schools.
- Gender equality in education (Gender at the Centre Initiative – GCI)
The Institute works to promote gender equality with and through education. Our support aims to strengthen the organisational capacity and autonomy of education ministries and administrations in gender-sensitive education management and planning - and to provide tools and resources to support the implementation of reforms.
Our office has expertise in supporting the revision of TVET policies. In a participatory process, our teams mobilise key stakeholders in vocational training on the continent to identify obstacles to reform, develop action plans and mobilise the resources needed to implement policy.
Learn more about our expertise in vocational training platform (PEFOP)
"We have learned many lessons from the quality management programme conducted with IIEP-UNESCO. Pedagogical inspectors and teachers from normal schools in Togo were able to discover and experiment with new practices in schools and change their personal teaching habits. This is the support that Togo needed to improve the quality of learning and enable children to succeed."